Time to update my success from the Kids Clothes Week Challenge!
I admittedly didn’t finish *anything* during the actual challenge. I just didn’t have the time every night, and I seem to be slower than I would like at this whole sewing thing. BUT, the challenge did get me working, and both my girls got to sport new dresses for church yesterday!
They were adorable in their matching dresses! Would you believe I think this is the first time ever my girls have worn true matching dresses?? They’ve certainly worn coordinating outfits before, but not dresses made with the same fabrics! (Well, except for costumes I suppose. I’ve done 2 matching costumes for the girls…. And their matching flower girl dresses…. Um, perhaps I need to rethink my statement.) No matter, I think you might see some more matching dresses for the girls — we’ve created a monster!
We saw a family friend in the grocery store who, upon spying the girls, asked me if I sewed. I never know if it’s good or bad that somebody thinks an outfit is handmade, but she at least indicated she thought so since they were the same fabric.
Looking at a bug.
I call these dresses from Grammy because she so kindly sent me the main fabric just so I could make dresses for the girls. She actually thought I’d only have enough fabric for Elena’s dress, but surprise, I had enough for both with a little left over! (Do you want the leftovers back for your stash Mom? I know you like the fabric.) And just a year later (hee), TADA!
I’ve made both these patterns before but did have to go up in size for both this time around.
Elena’s dress is New Look 6613 — a previous version can be seen here. The only problem Elena seems to be having with the dress right now is that the straps are a tad too long — she keeps having to pick them back up. I suppose I ought to fix that problem…
Elena already wore the dress to school once last week. On a day she insisted on having her hair straight. This took LOTS of brushing and a curling iron. I told her not to expect to do this often. She LOVED having straight hair. Her father and I were not nearly as big of fans.
As I’ve said before, obviously that pattern is easy and I’m a big fan. I did a couple things different this time around though. First, I did a different view — this one with pockets and a plain band on the bottom instead of a ruffle. It seemed to go with Elena’s dress better that way.
Ruby-red sparkly shoes for everyone!
Second, I changed the ties into elastic straps. These straps make me *so* much happier with the dress! I was never happy with having to retie the straps on her other dresses and the straps always looked messy. By working elastic into the straps, I was able to sew them in, making the dress look neater, and not have to worry about it fitting over her head. WIN.
Thanks Grammy! If you send any more fabric for dresses, I promise to get them done faster!